When a head coach gets fired during an NFL season

Если вы новичек в этом увлекательном виде спорта, задавайте вопросы.

When a head coach gets fired during an NFL season

Сообщение liny195 23 дек 2019, 05:51

Marwin Evans Jersey White , it’s as much about the culture of his team as it is about performance.That was the case in Green Bay, which in a move almost as stunning as its feeble showing against Arizona on Sunday, Mike McCarthy was canned. The same McCarthy who was 125-77-2 in almost 13 seasons at the helm. The same McCarthy who guided the Packers to the 2010 championship. The same McCarthy who helped nurture Aaron Rodgers into a seeming shoo-in for the Pro Football Hall of Fame.Yet, with what the Packers have become recently and where they appeared headed at 4-7-1 in a season when NFC wild-card berths are up for grabs, it probably was the correct move to let McCarthy go.The offense, even with Rodgers, has stagnated. The secondary, as it is pretty much every year, is ravaged by injuries. The offensive line is a mess more often than it is a plus.And the skills of one of the great quarterbacks of his era — an era when offense is paramount for success — are being wasted.Team president Mark Murphy in a statement said the 2018 season “has not lived up to the expectations and standards of the Green Bay Packers. As a result, I made the difficult decision to relieve Mike McCarthy of his role as head coach, effective immediately.”“Mike has been a terrific head coach and leader of the Packers for 13 seasons, during which time we experienced a great deal of success on and off the field,” Murphy said.True. McCarthy also might find himself employed running another team in need of developing a quarterback (Jets? Buccaneers? Browns?) in 2019. For now, though, with the Packers severely underachieving and McCarthy unable to find answers against strong opponents or weak ones, his departure made sense.“We haven’t played very well http://www.packerslockerroom.com/authentic-oren-burks-jersey ,” Rodgers said before being told McCarthy was fired. “We all take part in the disappointments and the failures that we’ve had this season. We’ve had a number of opportunities. It’s not like we’re getting blown out in a bunch of games. We’re in games.“I hate to repeat myself, but it’s applicable. … We’re not executing the right way.”Rodgers has never started a game for another coach, and he deserves some input into who replaces McCarthy. Whoever that might be, the least of his problems is quarterback, barring more injuries to Rodgers, who turned 35 on Sunday. Rodgers should have a few excellent years left.The deeper problems in Green Bay stem from years of injuries to key players, particularly on defense, that approach an epidemic. Is players’ health not being vetted properly before they join the team? Are they not diagnosed or treated properly when they get hurt? Is it bad luck?The Packers probably need to look into adding some talent through free agency before Rodgers is past his prime. That’s rarely been the approach on the tundra — yes, we know about Reggie White and Julius Peppers — but with Ted Thompson no longer the general manager, perhaps the thinking will change.In the NFC North, where Chicago is on the rise and Minnesota has more overall talent than Green Bay, a quick infusion of talent is essential.It would be somewhat ironic if McCarthy surfaced in Cleveland to work with Baker Mayfield. The Browns are the only other team to fire its head man thus far, and it would be surprising if Browns GM John Dorsey, who formerly worked for the Packers, isn’t interested.The Jets, who lost their sixth in a row in ignominious fashion at Tennessee on Sunday Vince Biegel Jersey White , almost certainly will be letting go of Todd Bowles soon. They also have a rookie QB in need of a guru.Meanwhile, the Packers begin a search they rarely make. Since 2000, they’ve had two coaches, Mike Sherman and McCarthy.Joe Philbin is the interim. Whoever is next, Green Bay, make sure Rodgers has a say. GREEN BAY, Wis. (AP) — At some point soon, Davante Adams will reach out to an old friend, someone who instilled the kind of good habits that have helped make the Green Bay Packers star one of the best receivers in the NFL.Adams might even break a record held by his buddy and former teammate, Jordy Nelson.Adams has 1,315 yards receiving going into this weekend’s game against the New York Jets, 205 yards shy of eclipsing the club single-season mark set of 1,519 set by Nelson in 2014.This could be a bit of an awkward conversation when the Packers’ current and former top wideouts catch up next.“I don’t want to bring it up, I don’t want to jinx it,” Adams said with a smile.Nelson may even try to jinx him, too Womens Demetri Goodson Jersey , he joked.If he gets the record, “Jordy will definitely be one of the first ones to get a call,” Adams said this week. “If not, I’m sure he’ll hit me up before the game’s even over. It happens, we’ll see.”Adams has a decent shot at the mark over the final two weeks in a season in which he is averaging career highs in yards per game (93.9) and catch percentage (66.2). This weekend, the Packers face the NFL’s 19th-ranked pass defense in the Jets, who are giving up 243.4 yards per game through the air.Adams also has 100 catches for the first time in his career, leaving him 13 shy of breaking the club record set by Sterling Sharpe in 1993.Having Aaron Rodgers behind center will help. The two-time NFL MVP appears likely to start, even with the Packers (5-8-1) already eliminated from the playoffs and Rodgers playing through injuries. The franchise quarterback was a full participant in practice at midweek with his lingering left knee injury, along with an apparent minor groin injury sustained during last week’s loss to the Chicago Bears.Rodgers and Adams are the Packers’ lone selections to the Pro Bowl. Adams has been Rodgers’ most reliable receiver; Rodgers has been Adams’ biggest cheerleader.“We’ve been saying it all year, whether or not – people have been debating, I think – or whether or not he’s an elite player, a No. 1 receiver and all this garbage. He’s had a fantastic year, and he deserves it,” Rodgers said.Adams said he’s not keeping count with every catch, though he allows himself to acknowledge that getting the records “would be cool. We’ll see. Hopefully A-Rod’s counting.”Nelson once had that role as Rodgers’ most trusted receiver. Adams was a rookie in 2014 when Nelson set the club receiving yards mark.But Nelson was cut by the Packers this past March as a salary cap casualty after coming off a down 2017 season. He landed with Oakland http://www.packerslockerroom.com/authentic-davon-house-jersey , where he has 47 catches for 586 yards and three touchdowns.Randall Cobb, another Packers veteran who has been a big help to Adams, is in the last year of his deal with Green Bay.“It’s well deserved obviously, with what they’ve done with me and how they kind of taught me to go, not so much with words but with actions,” Adams said. “That’s really what sets people apart. The things they’ve been able to do for me and my career, I can’t thank them enough.”Adams credits Nelson and Cobb for helping him establish good habits in practice, as well as dealing with media responsibilities in the locker room. He’s trying to take a similar leadership role now with younger receivers on the team.“I never lead them in the wrong direction, I know that they understand that,” Adams said. “That’s going to lead into them taking the talent they have now and evolve it into an elite player.”NOTES: RT Bryan Bulaga (knee) was limited for a second straight practice, a sign that the veteran starter was closer to returning after missing two games. … Cobb (concussion) and DL Kenny Clark (elbow) sat out practice again. … P JK Scott returned to practice after missing a day because of illness.
liny195
Капитан
Капитан

Вернуться в Новичку