NFL Quarterback Tiers: Week 1 — Where does Giants QB

От посетителей сайта

NFL Quarterback Tiers: Week 1 — Where does Giants QB

Сообщение liny195 15 янв 2019, 04:28

Eli Manning land? Ugh. Quarterback rankings.Look Authentic Ray-Ray Armstrong Jersey , we can be honest with each other, dear reader. You’re here even though the mere thought of one more piece on ranking quarterbacks makes your blood boil over. Believe me, I understand that. I mean, since we’re being honest ranking quarterbacks isn’t just a walk in the park, Kazansky. You prepare something that you know going into that all 32 fan bases will likely hate, you push send, and you wait for the angry tweets to roll in. Yes, this is my day job. No, I don’t want to quit it. Yes, I wear contact lenses but my prescription is up to date. No, I haven’t thought about playing in traffic鈥ut I digress鈥art of the reason that quarterback rankings inspire ire and anger are that to a certain extent, there is a subjective element to them. With advanced statistics such as Adjusted Net Yards per Attempt we can apply some numerical qualifiers to the rankings, but that only tells a part of the story. For example Jared Goff led the league in ANY/A last season, but would anyone consider him to be QB1 right now? So film evaluation, context, scheme, and more factors play a role. With the introduction of the human element of evaluation, and the subjective components, we get discrepancies, and the debates begin.But, they make for fun debates, so let’s get started. First a few words on the methodology and the goal. Consider these sort of “power rankings.” This will be revisited throughout the season, so we can track somewhat how starters around the league are playing. We’re working with the 32 Week 1 starters at the outset, we will slide other guys in or out depending on injuries, benchings, etc. As for the methodology. I’m a firm believer in tiers rather than pure rankings, so the players are grouped in five tiers, and while they are “ranked” in each tier the main focus should be on the tiers themselves, and not on where they rest in each tier. Finally, this is based on evaluating each player’s 2017 film (and in the case of Sam Darnold, his college film), what we have seen so far in 2018, as well as soem expectations for what their offenses and schemes will look like in the regular season.You can push send on the angry tweets in a few minutes I promise.Aaron RodgersPhoto by Stacy Revere/Getty ImagesTier 1 - The Elite. Best of the BestTom Brady www.newyorkgiantsteamonline.com , New EnglandAaron Rodgers, Green BayDrew Brees, New OrleansRussell Wilson, SeattleMove aside, “Brady vs. Manning,” the big new debate is “Brady vs. Rodgers.” As I tried to convince people during earlier days, maybe it’s just better to watch and appreciate two of the best ever at their craft and not worry so much about rankings. If forced to choose, I’ll go with Brady, especially given that he is coming off an MVP season while Rodgers is returning from injury. So this could change given how they perform in 2018. But I’ll have Brady at the top to start.As for Brees and Wilson, down in New Orleans Brees remains such a smart, accurate quarterback that is extremely difficult to defender. Wilson was Seattle’s offense last year, at one point accounting for roughly 86 percent of the Seahawks’ offensive output.That’s not a typo.Tier 2 - The Elite-ishAfter the top four is where it gets interesting. In this group we have some players on the cusp of making the leap to Tier 1, as well as some quarterbacks who might have been in Tier 1 a few years ago, but now finds themselves in the second grouping.Matt Ryan, AtlantaMatthew Stafford, DetroitCam Newton, CarolinaCarson Wentz, PhiladelphiaBen Roethlisberger, PittsburghPhilip Rivers, Los AngelesAndrew Luck, IndianapolisAfter the first four, trying to pick QB5 is a difficult proposition. Earlier this summer I waded into that debate and went with Stafford, and spent the next few days on Twitter having a very polite conversation with Falcons fans about my omission of Ryan. So seeing Ryan at 5 might be a surprise. But while in the summer I was talking solely about traits, I think if you look at both teams right now and the weapons around them, I think Ryan has the upper hand going into 2018. Newton is a polarizing QB to evaluate, and I come down on the very pro-Cam side of that debate. If you want to study the art of using torque to throw a football, watch Newton throw the deep out route. In the Panthers’ offense in years past he’s been asked to shoulder a big load, and while he is not the most accurate quarterback in terms of ball placement, he makes it work within the structure of their offense.Wentz made quite the leap last year, playing like a true MVP before going down to injury. I’m expecting him to return to that form when he’s back on the field. Speaking of injury, I have Luck in here to start, although that is based on the healthy Andrew Luck. That might change once we see him on the field.Perhaps most notable are the two names not in this tier. They’re up next.Tier 3Deshaun Watson, HoustonJimmy Garoppolo New York Giants T-Shirt , San FranciscoAlex Smith, WashingtonKirk Cousins, MinnesotaJared Goff, Los AngelesTyrod Taylor, ClevelandCase Keenum, DenverMarcus Mariota, TennesseeDak Prescott, DallasJameis Winston, Tampa BayBlake Bortles, JacksonvilleAt the top are two names often included in that second tier by other evaluators. I more than understand bumping Garoppolo and Watson into that second group, but due to Watson returning from his second knee injury, as well as sample size concerns for both of them, I’ll slot them in Tier 3 for now. Both might be into that second tier by the season’s three-quarter pole. The rest of this tier is a fascinating bunch. I think both Smith and Cousins are in good spots to produce this season, although Washington’s offense might have lost some potential with Derrius Guice being lost to injury. Goff certainly took a big leap forward in year two, but how much of that was him and how much was Sean McVay? Year three of the Goff era might answer that question. Baker Mayfield might be the future for the Cleveland Browns, but I’m a Taylor fan, provided he’s operating in the right system for him. Besides, Jalen Ramsey considers him elite, and I’m not gonna argue with him. Keenum is coming off a magical season, but can he duplicate that with raised expectations and in a new setting?The rest of this tier contains four fascinating QBs to study with quarterback perhaps facing more questions than answers. Which Dak Prescott is the real deal, year one or year two? Can Matt LaFleur jump-start Marcus Mariota’s career? Could this be the end of the line for Jameis WInston in Tampa Bay? Are the Jacksonville Jaguars justified in keeping the faith with Blake Bortles? All four have some traits that could see them rise, but also have some history that could indicate a fall instead.Tier 4 Andy Dalton, CincinnatiRyan Tannehill, MiamiDerek Carr, OaklandPatrick Mahomes, Kansas CityEli Manning, New York GiantsMitchell Trubisky, ChicagoBased on preseason performance alone I thought about sliding Dalton into Tier 3, but I’m waiting to see that replicated in some regular season games before making the move. The Miami Dolphins face a decision soon about Tannehill, and he’ll need a strong season for the organization to continue rolling with Ryan. The influence of Jon Gruden could help Derek Carr but with all the questions swirling around the Oakland Raiders right now, it’s hard to look at that offense and the overall situation and move Carr further up the board. Mahomes certainly has potential, and flashed some in his one start last season, but there’s a sample size issue. As for Manning and Trubisky New York Giants Hats , we’ve seen some of what they have to offer, so there are concerns there. But Manning does get Odell Beckham back and has Saquon Barkley in the backfield, which could be a big boost. Trubisky squeaks into Tier 4 based on, perhaps, my inflated view of what Matt Nagy is going to do to help his second-year QB.Sam DarnoldPhoto by Mitchell Leff/Getty ImagesTier 5Joe Flacco, BaltimoreSam Bradford, ArizonaNathan Peterman, BuffaloSam Darnold, New York JetsJoe Flacco is coming off a historically poor 2017 campaign that saw him post an ANY/A of just 4.71, besting just C.J. Beathard, Tom Savage, Trevor Siemian, Brett Hundley and DeShone Kizer among qualified starters. WIth the selection of Lamar Jackson in the first round it is safe to wonder about how much longer he will be under center for the Baltimore Ravens. Sam Bradford is an interesting inclusion in this tier, as when healthy he can produce, but until he remains healthy for an extended period it is hard to move him higher up this list. Nathan Peterman and Sam Darnold close things out for us. Peterman threw five interceptions in his first start, sure, but he has been much better than that this preseason, but the Buffalo Bill do face questions at many offensive positions. As for Darnold, he has the talent to rise in these rankings, but he’s a rookie, and there will be mistakes. Plus, as a rookie you gotta start somewhere鈥kay, you can send those angry tweets...now.When the Giants have the ball: Can the offense turn it around against the Houston defense? Not much is going right for the Giants offense this season. There’s a lot of blame to go around. But there are a few ways it can be fixed. Where they’ll try to fix it this week is in Houston against the Texans, who are also an 0-2 and struggling a bit on defense. If that turnaround is going to happen, here’s some things to look for this week against the Texans.The defensive line is nastyThere’s the names you know — J.J. Watt, Jadeveon Clowney, Whitney Mercilus — and some you might not, like D.J. Reader. Whether they are at full health or not (Clowney is expected to play after missing Week 2, Watt is still working his way back from an injury that cost him almost all of 2017), these are dangerous players who could flip a game in an instant.Reader can be a dominant player on his own, but when he’s getting blocked one-on-one while the rest of the offensive line is worried about Watt and Clowney, he can take advantage. He had two sacks against the Patriots in Week 1, both of which were aided by attention paid to Watt.Another takeaway from those plays is how close Watt is to being the dominant Watt we’ve seen in the past. He’s working his way back to the J.J. Watt of old and he’s on the verge of getting there. He’s yet to record a sack New York Giants Hoodie , but he’s oh so close, which doesn’t bode well for the Giants offensive line.The sack and pressure numbers aren’t great at the moment, but that’s not likely to last for long.Quick hittersThe offensive line has clearly struggled and given up pressure, but there are ways to combat that. Per Next Gen Stats, Eli Manning has an average of 2.7 seconds to throw this season. That’s almost exactly league average (2.72) among 32 qualified quarterbacks. Since Manning obviously isn’t behind a league average offensive line, it would make some sense to mix in some throws that allow him to get the ball out quickly.There’s an argument to be made that getting the ball out quickly lowers the ceiling of an offense or limits the amount of downfield shots — both true to an extent — but Manning already has the eighth-shortest throws on average among those qualified quarterbacks. Setting up Manning with more easily defined throws will also help an offense more than running around and relying on a check down to a running back, even if those throws are the correct read at the time.Slants to Odell Beckham became a running joke as the only workable part of the Ben McAdoo offense, but there’s a reason they were relied on so often — they had the greatest potential to work. Beckham slants shouldn’t account for the majority of the passing offense like it had in the past, but getting a few more in there isn’t a bad idea for anyone involved.More movement and creativityOne of the biggest disappointments in the offense has been the lack of movement and creativity in the offensive personnel and play calls. When I talked to Evan Engram during training camp, he said he was excited for this offense because everybody’s everywhere. Through two weeks, that hasn’t been the case, especially with Engram and Saquon Barkley.Engram had seven targets last week against the Cowboys and only one came when he was lined up in the slot. All 16 of Barkley’s targets against Dallas originated from the backfield. These are supposed to be two versatile, dynamic playmakers who can be moved around the formation to create mismatches, but they have yet to be used that way. Engram’s 3.8 intended air yards are the lowest among 97 wide receivers and running backs with at least eight targets on the season.You could say the lack of protection from the offensive line hasn’t allow the Giants to be more creative. But on the other side, stretching the field horizontally with a tight end or running back in the slot or outside puts stress on the defense, lessens the amount of players in the middle of the field, and can decrease the amount of pass rushers available. And if there’s still a pass rush close to getting home, there are more receivers in better positions to serve as hot routes or outlet passes instead of check downs with little room to run.Per Sharp Football Stats, the Giants are still using 11 personnel (three wide receivers) at an above average rate (66 percent), but they aren’t doing many creative things with it. The Giants’ use of 12 personnel (two tight ends, 22 percent) has often seen Engram and Rhett Ellison as traditional in-line tight ends.This should be the week to try to unleash Engram down the field more often. Through two weeks, the Texans are 30th in DVOA against opposing tight ends. Attacking the cornersHouston currently ranks 24th in defensive DVOA against the pass, but it comes with a crazy split. The Texans rank first in DVOA against opposing No. 1 receivers, but rank 25th against No. 2’s and 24th against “others.” That comes with some caveats, though, since Houston has played New England, which doesn’t really have a “No. 1” receiver and Tennessee, which had Blaine Gabbert “throwing” passes to Corey Davis.So, if Odell Beckham can take more advantage of Jonathan Joseph and the other parts of the secondary are already weak, there could be openings in the passing game.Kareem Jackson has already bounced between starting at safety and moving back to cornerback after Kevin Johnson was was put on injured reserve after suffering a concussion in Week 1, which followed a concussion suffered in the preseason. The depth behind Joseph and Jackson is not ideal, so it could be a big day for Sterling Shepard and possibly Cody Latimer if the Giants choose to go that way.
liny195
Капитан
Капитан

Re: NFL Quarterback Tiers: Week 1 — Where does Giants QB

Сообщение vanesela 12 апр 2019, 06:52

vanesela
Капитан
Капитан

Re: NFL Quarterback Tiers: Week 1 — Where does Giants QB

Сообщение vanesela 05 июн 2019, 04:02

vanesela
Капитан