Similar to NHL goaltenders

Турниры, команды, правила, нововведения....

Similar to NHL goaltenders

Сообщение Cl11234566 13 дек 2019, 03:13

WASHINGTON -- Trailing by two runs with two men on in the bottom of the ninth inning, Washingtons Jayson Werth worked a 3-0 count against Angels closer Ernesto Frieri. Time to take a pitch, right? "I cant imagine anybody thinking that J-Dubs going to swing," Werths teammate Adam LaRoche said. "Surprised all of us." Werth did indeed go after the next pitch, hitting it down the third-base line for a game-tying, two-run double that ended Frieris rough outing. LaRoche then produced an RBI single off the first pitch from Fernando Salas to cap a four-run rally in the ninth, and the Nationals beat the Angels 5-4 Wednesday night to avoid a sweep. "You hit into a double play right there, its probably the worst play youve ever seen," Werth said. "If you get a hit, its the best." Los Angeles led 4-1 entering the ninth, and Frieri (0-2) was seeking his third save. Instead, he left with his second blown chance, charged with all four runs Washington scored in that inning. The Nationals trailed in seven of their 12 wins. "I knew that he was going to swing," Frieri said. "Hes a power guy. So I tried to keep the ball down. But I still missed it right down the middle. ... I mean, today was a mess, man." Still, manager Mike Scioscia indicated he will keep Frieri in the closers role. "He just got a save the other night," Scioscia said. "Its in him. We just need to get him a little more consistent." Part of Frieris problem was failing to put away Jose Lobaton leading off the ninth after getting ahead 0-2. Lobaton hit his first homer of the season. "The spark we needed," Werth said. One out later, Werth made it 4-all. On LaRoches liner to left, Werth beat the throw from Mike Trout, crossed the plate with a fist raised and was greeted by teammates streaming out of the dugout. They then headed over to swarm LaRoche. "He left a fastball up over the plate," LaRoche said. "In that situation, just trying to hit something hard." Drew Storen (2-0) got one out in the ninth for the victory, despite giving up an RBI single to Trout. That hit scored Raul Ibanez, who reached when first baseman LaRoche was charged with an error for dropping the ball while transferring it from his glove to his throwing hand after catching a line drive. "Its one of the worst rules Ive ever heard of. I dont feel like its baseball," LaRoche said. "It doesnt make sense. Its frustrating, especially in a close game where that could have ended up costing us. Hopefully well get that rule changed sooner than later." Trout robbed Bryce Harper of a hit with a headfirst diving catch in the first, then beat a throw home from his fellow 2012 Rookie of the Year to score in the sixth. A night after hitting his 499th and 500th homers, Albert Pujols went 2 for 4 with an RBI double, while Jered Weaver allowed one run in six innings. But the Angels dropped to 10-11, blowing an opportunity to climb above .500 for the first time since they were 1-0 last season. Washingtons Gio Gonzalez gave up two runs over five-plus innings, leaving after only 83 pitches because of what manager Matt Williams called "a little shoulder tightness." "Ordinarily I wouldnt take him out of the game there, but we want to make sure hes OK for our future, too," Williams said. Gonzalez, who also drove in Washingtons first run, said he expects to make his next start. So much attention at the start of this series was on Trout, 22, and Harper, 21, first-round draft picks who were Arizona Fall League teammates in 2011 but hadnt played each other in the majors until Monday. Yanked from a game last weekend for what Williams called "lack of hustle," Harper went from what appeared to be a jog to a sprint when his grounder in the eighth was fumbled by first baseman Pujols, who was charged with an error. "Hes safe at first base. Thats all I care about," Williams said. "Were not asking him to go 100 per cent all the time, as fast as he can possibly go at every single moment. Because not everybody does." NOTES: After a day off, the Angels put LHP C.J. Wilson (2-2, 4.21) on the mound Friday against Yankees RHP Hiroki Kuroda (2-1, 4.07) for the start of a three-game series at New York. ... The Nationals begin a four-game set Thursday against visiting San Diego, with RHP Jordan Zimmermann (1-1, 3.92) facing Padres LHP Eric Stults (1-2, 4.35). Elfrid Payton Jersey .Carla Fontes hadnt cut her hair since intermediate school, but her coach at Waiakea High School, Stan Haraguchi, thought the locks flowing below her waist were interfering with the sport. Allonzo Trier Jersey . Chris Capuano. Shane Greene. And now, Esmil Rogers. https://www.cheapknicks.com/151x-bill-b ... nicks.html. The Canadian defensive tackle suffered the injury on Monday and had tests done on Tuesday. He was a potential starter on the defensive line but head coach Mike OShea said he wasnt even thinking about the ratio when he got the news. Ken Sears Jersey . The Blue Jays lost to the New York Yankees 3-1 Tuesday night, their seventh defeat in 10 games. Rasmus was put on the 15-day DL on May 15 because of a sore right hamstring. Hes hitting .222 with nine home runs and 19 RBIs. New York Knicks Shirts . The 22-year-old Spanish midfielder recently signed a new three-year contract with Chelsea, and after spending last season on loan with Valencia in La Liga, Romeu will move to the Bundesliga for the 2014-15 campaign.LAKE LOUISE, Alta. -- Manuel Osborne-Paradis talks of learning more about himself and of taking care of his body to extend his career in ski racing. All very adult, but he hasnt completely outgrown the man who celebrated the Calgary Stampede two years ago by climbing on the back of a party bus and falling off. He sustained road rash on his bottom severe enough to put him in the hospital. Winning downhill races requires recklessness, so Osborne-Paradis isnt willing to let the foolhardy part of himself disappear completely. "You cant kill that," he says. "You can scrape a bit of him off, but you cant kill him." His Canadian teammate Jan Hudec doesnt want to see it disappear either because that devil-may-care ingredient is necessary when attempting speeds that are literally breakneck. "We all hope he has pre-road rash Manny left in him," Hudec said. "Besides the personality and the energy it brings to the team, I think its part of his winning attitude. "Im a little bit the same way. I live my life pretty loosey-goosey by the seat of my pants. I dont plan ahead, but it works for me for skiing. Thats how I race as well. I live in the moment. Manny is fairly similar that way." Erik Guay, Hudec and Osborne-Paradis are the Canadian downhill teams decorated elder statesmen at the season-opening World Cup in Lake Louise, Alta. John Kucera would also be included in that group if the Calgarian wasnt sidelined with an inner ear condition. The downhill is Saturday followed by Sundays super-G. Training was cancelled Thursday because of a power problem affecting the lift to the start hut. Repairs didnt leave enough time to get 91 racers from the top to the bottom, although the competitors were able to free ski the lower sections of the course. Guay had the fastest time in training Wednesday, with Osborne-Paradis and Hudec also in the top 10. Guay and Hudec, both 32, and Osborne-Paradis, 29, have stood on World Cup podiums multiple times during their careers. Theyve morphed from guys who just wanted to ski fast to men running their individual ski empires of businesses, sponsorships and charities. "Business, families, girlfriends, fiancees, wives, we didnt even know what those words were and how to use them five years ago," Osborne-Paradis says. "You know, young and dumb. Its a different time of your life. Theres guys who are 36 in the race and theres guys who are 20 and you can totally tell the difference." How to square their adult responsibilities with a certain disregard for their own safety on the mountain is a balancing act, says Hudec. "I think the older you get, the more cherished it becomes and you put it in your backpack in a safety deposit box and you carefully bring it to the hotel and youre like dont lose this. Its my recklessness. If I lose this, Im screwed," Hudec explains. "You have tto leave it at home when you go to the store or your business and youre telling people to be responsible and be on time.dddddddddddd They cant know youre that person on the hill. Its actually a really funny challenge." Vancouvers Osborne-Paradis returned last season from a catastrophic knee injury suffered in January, 2011. Hudec, from Calgary, has undergone seven knee surgeries, including six on the same knee. Injuries plant seeds of doubt that have to be overcome in the start hut. Bravado helps get past the mental barriers to 130 kilometres per hour. "I think theres a lot of fear, but you learn to adapt to that," Osborne-Paradis says. "Recklessness for sure, its the only way to win. "You can ski pretty and have a good run and come 20th your whole career if you wanted to. To win, you need to be taking chances and you need to risk the fact that you might end up in the (safety) nets. Thats the only way to win." The 2014 Winter Games in Sochi, Russia, are just weeks away and this could be the Olympic swan song for some of Canadas veteran downhillers. Osborne-Paradis says he has never worked so hard to prepare for a season of racing. "Ive taken the initiatives and worked better with my sports psych, better with my biofeedback, better with stretching and mobility," he says. "The stuff that, as you get older, makes more a difference than going out and grunting. "As you get older, you need to learn how to stay in the game and stay active in this sport. You take your knowledge and your history of running all the courses and use that to your advantage and build up a better mental capacity of what needs to be done at each event. To get to know yourself a little bit more makes you a better athlete." Similar to NHL goaltenders who donate money to a charity for each shootout they earn, Osborne-Paradis has come up with a strategy for Right To Play, the international organization that empowers children facing adversity through sport. Osborne-Paradis wears Right To Plays logo on his helmet instead of a corporate brand. Through his business contacts, hes raised an initial $25,000 for the organization. More will be donated for top-10 or podium performances he achieves this season. A win, for example, is worth another $15,000 contribution. If Osborne-Paradis attracts a headgear sponsor this season, he intends to wear Right To Plays logo on his suit. He would exponentially increase the bonus money to the organization, so a win would be worth $30,000. "Obviously theres the personal drive of achieving your goals, but when youre skiing for a cause bigger than yourself, the better you ski and the faster you ski and the more other people will benefit from that," he says. "Its a great feeling and on those off days it really helps you push through the cold weather and the fear of racing or whatever." ' ' '
Cl11234566
Капитан
Капитан

Вернуться в Спортивная жизнь